Monday, October 31, 2011

Success!

Good news! We are now the proud parents of "Ty", who we will promptly rename "Doppelbock" once we get him home. Take a look at this little guy:


We get to pick him up on the 18th of November and I am so excited! I get the honor of picking him up since my fiance will be at work, so I have to try and remain calm the entire 4.5 hour drive to get him. I may have to rely on cruise control in order to stop myself from covering the distance with a time worthy of a land-speed record.

I am beginning to write out a list of everything we have to do between now and then, and the list keeps growing! So far the big ones are getting the right puppy food, getting a bed and puppy-proofing the house. Relatives have donated a kennel for us which is a big help, and the breeder is giving us a nice package of puppy goods to supplement the rest of the needs. Puppy proofing the house is going to be fun because it isn't even human proofed yet. My fiance is an avid baseball card collector, and his baseball cards are beginning to colonize the living room. They are a few steps away from forming a government and seceding from the household, so we really need to get those under control and up out of reach. Then there is my stuffed animal addiction... It is a minor addiction that takes up quite a bit of space in the bedroom. These tasty puppy morsels are just lying there begging to be chewed up, so I need to find a place to put them as well. 

I can't help but picture how fun those first few days are going to be. I finally get to be the person at the highway rest stop playing with their dog after being cooped up in the car for a couple of hours. (Although, most likely he will sleep a good portion of the way home.) We get to go to PetSmart and walk the him around. Finally, people will be petting and talking about my dog instead of me and my fiance talking about theirs. I have been mentally taking note of all the cute sweaters I can get for him when we walk him in the winter, and also researching the best ways to train him.

And then there is the Doxie races at German Fest! After all these years of attending as a spectator, we will finally be able to participate! I know in all likelihood Doppelbock will be all excited at the starting line, the flag will drop and he will take two steps and roll around in the grass some but we won't care. We will finally have our little man!

3 comments:

  1. OH, Jo, he's adorable. Reminds me of Amber and Max when we first got to see them at the breeders when they were only 3 days old. The next 18 days will be really long for you. Too bad it's so far.....you could go and visit him and meet him.

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! He is gorgeous! We have five dachsies, all from rescues, so I have no advice to offer! Yes, hide the stuffed friends HIGH_ they will be mincemeat very quickly! the baseball cards will not be worth much if they get 'wet' by accident! Nature's Miracle will come in handy as will vinegar. We use Lock n Lock storage containers for their kibble and treats, as well as grooming supplies- lids can't be knocked off, but can be chewed off if you are unwary! (Learned that with Ginger, our first dachsie queen) LOTS of baby blankets will be good for burrowing and toddler t shirts are good substitutes for clothing- less expensive than the ones at PetSmart. WalMart usually has a pretty good selection of sweatshirts. HUg a Dog harnesses are great, as are the ones from Noodle and friends- no tugging at the neck thus reducing back strain and injury

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, he is adorable! Congratulations! Have fun with your little sweetie and do post loads of pictures for us to see.
    Lotsa Licks
    Casper Bear

    ReplyDelete